Pinswang is reached either over the Kniepass from Pflach or from the German side via Füssen and the former customs building at Weishaus on the border with Austria. Pinswang was first mentioned in 1095 and is therefore one of the earliest recorded settlements in the Ausserfern. Traces of earlier settlement go back much further, however, and it appears that the area was discovered by Celts in 200 BC.
The famous German writer August von Kotzebue spent time in Pinswang and described it as possessing "the spirit of nature".
Summer in Pinswang
Walking trails lead to traces of bygone cultural and spiritual power: ancient ruins invite exploration and the Church of St Ulrich beckons with its history.
The old customs are alive and well in Pinswang and, if in the area at the time of a local festival, the celebrations should not be missed.
At the end of the "Places of Power" trail at the Gutshof von Schluxen, the old Counts' trail can be taken on foot or bike to get to Hohenschwangau. From here the world-famous Imperial Castles can be visited.
Winter in Pinswang
Walking is also highly popular during the winter in Pinswang. The beauties of the area can also be explored on an extensive cross-country skiing trail network.